Sunday, January 23, 2011

Est-ce que vous etes content?

Tomorrow is moving day and we will finally get to see all of our "stuff" and get settled into our new home.  But before I look forward, I felt I should first look back at our "temporary living".

One of the questions I have been asked often by the French is, "Est-ce que vous etes content?"  I know they are asking, "Are you happy?", "Are you pleased?"  They want to know if I am happy to be here in France.  This is one of those times that I love the difference in our languages.  Typically, we focus on our happiness ("Are you happy?"), but God teaches us through His word, the Bible, that we are to be content.  This morning, as I was getting ready, I thought about this.  I have not had the "happiest" of weeks in our temporary situation.  I have had cabin fever in this little hotel suite, I've missed my children more than I ever thought I would, and I've been frustrated with my lack of ability to talk.  (I know many of you are laughing at that last one.)  But as I thought about the question, "Est-ce que vous etes content?", I knew I could answer, "Oui, je suis content!".  God has us here at this time for His purposes and I am content (and happy) with being where He has me.

As a final note, I looked up "content" in the Bible and the verse in Hebrews 13:5 follows being content with ...  "for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,".  Praise God!

2 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen! I hope and pray that the move goes well! Keep us posted, I am loving this!!! You should be able to feel my energy all the way over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leigh, it's Katie from the St.Francis Spiritual Formation Class. I have been enjoying your blog. You are a natural writer. Keep it up. I am thinking about having one of my own. How do you like blogspot?

    I am working on my own contentedness. We have so many blessings, but often I find myself complaining about stupid stuff. Well, thank you for bringing up this subject that God has shown me I need to work on. God Bless you. Katie

    ReplyDelete